Original Great Northern Hotel ~1890's, on Jonson St looking north from the intersection with Byron St, Byron Bay. This hotel was originally opened in 1892 with Murdoch McLean the licensee. He was there for 13 years. During that period the hotel burnt down in 1897, and Murdoch rebuilt it as 3 storey wooden structure which remained until it burnt down again in 1936. Click on #51 below to compare with the rebuilt post-1897 hotel which has ornate wrought iron corner brackets on its posts, as well as a 3rd storey.
Photo: From the Facebook page of the Byron Bay Historical Society, and with their kind permission. Originally from the The E. J. Wright Collection which comprises more than 1000 photographs and documents relating to Byron Bay, donated to the Byron Bay Library by the family of Eric Wright (1918-2004), a local identity and keen historian. The photos have been digitised, as a joint project with both Byron Bay and Brunswick Valley Historical Societies, and have been integrated into the existing local studies collection. See here.
Contents of this Website are subject to Copyright © by Philip Strong. See here.