Contents of this Website are subject to Copyright © by Philip Strong, & allow fair academic use. See here.
Do you have information, opinion or a question relating to either this site’s contents or its copyright? Please use the e-mail link available at the bottom of each page. I look forward to corresponding with you.
County Westmeath: Parishes Killare to Kilmanaghan & Kilcleagh
(with RC Parish of Tubber & Rosemount in Civil Parishes of Kilmanaghan & Kilcleagh)…
This page provides background data of locations which are relevant to my great grandmother Elizabeth WEDEMEYER (née DAVIS) and her brother William DAVIS. When Elizabeth emigrated to Australia in 1850 after being in the Mullingar workhouse, her father John was recorded living in the Parish of Killare.
A parish birth record compared with other records (see table in Chapter 6) gives a great match for William. William DAVIS, b. 29 Oct 1832, (RC) Parish of Tubber & Rosemount; rel. RC; father: John DAVIS; mother: Ellen Greevy; sponsors: Dermot Laffy, Bridget Wise.
Another record gives a very close match for Elizabeth DAVIS, born in the same RC parish, with a mother having the same christian name, but perhaps having her mother's name (McGIN). Elizabeth DAVIS, b. or bapt. 19 May 1830, (Civil) Parish of Kilcleagh; rel. RC; father: John DAVIS; mother: Eleanor McGIN; sponsors: Peter McGIN, Bridget Crosby.
Referring to the map (below): Mullingar (Elizabeth's workhouse) is on the right hand side of the map, parish Killare & the town of Ballymore are just left of the middle. The RC parish of Tubber & Rosemount in the Civil parishes of Kilmanaghan & Kilcleagh, which both include the town of Moate, is just 10 miles in a SW direction from Killare.
Referring to the text: details are also given of the Killare, Kilmanaghan & Kilcleagh parishes and townlands. The towns of Ballymore and Moate in these parishes are described, since the DAVIS family might have been shoemakers in those locations.
The search for Elizabeth and William's father John is unclear. The 1854 Griffiths Valuation has only two John DAVIS records in Westmeath… one in Athlone Rd, town of Moate, parish Kilcleagh; and the other in Rathconrath parish (Rowlandstown townland) next to the parish Killare. Both of these records relate to the localities in the baptisms cited above.
Details of Killare Parish In 1837
KILLARE, a parish, in the barony of RATHCONRATH, county of MEATH, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Mullingar to Athlone; containing, with part of the post-town of Ballymore, 3849 inhabitants. This place is supposed by Camden to have been the Laberus of Ptolemy, and is distinguished by a lofty and isolated hill, which bounds it on the north-west, called Knock-Usneach, and said to have been celebrated for the ancient provincial assemblies of the native Irish. A religious house was founded here at a very early period, and subsequently became the head of a small see, of which St. Aid is said to have been bishop in 588; of this establishment, and also of a castle founded by the family of the Geoghegans, there are still some slight remains. The parish comprises 6950 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is principally under tillage; the system of agriculture is improving, and there is a small portion of bog. The principal seat is Mosstown, the handsome residence of Theobald Featherston-H, Esq. Fairs and petty sessions are held at Ballymore. It is an impropriate curacy, in the diocese of Meath, annexed to the perpetual curacy of Ballymore, or St. Owen's of Loughseudy. The rectory is impropriate in Mrs. F. C. Reade: the tithes amount to £260. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions it is also part of the union or district of Ballymore. There are four private schools, in which about 170 children are taught. In the village, which consists only of a few cabins, are the ruins of the old parish church, with a burial-ground; and opposite to it is a remarkably high mound, at the base of which is another ruin of very great antiquity, with a well dedicated to St. Bridget. In the centre of the parish is Clare Hill, on the summit of which are the remains of a castle and fortifications, said to have belonged to the family of De Lacy. Near Mosstown are the remains of the ancient castle of Killenbrack; and within that demesne, on a small mound, is a burial-place of the Judge family, of King's county.
Lewis, S. Topographical dictionary of Ireland. London: S. Lewis, 1837; 2: 126.
Townlands of the Parish of Killare.
Ardbrennan, BALLYMORE TOWNSHIP (portion), Ballinacor, Ballinaspick, Ballinive, Ballinkeeny, Ballinlavan, Ballyclogher, Ballydavid, Ballymacallen, Ballymacartan, Bessville, Bishopstown, Bracknahevla, Clare, Clinickilroe, Clonboy, Clonnamanagh, Clonnslynagh, Clonybane, Clonyveey, Clyglass, Duneel, Dungaghy, Gibstown, Keenoge, Killarecastle, Killarechurch, Killaroo, Killeenagh, Killeenagroagh, Killeenbane, Killeenboy, Killeenbrack, Lurgan, Maddadoo, Moranspark, Mosstown, Mosstown Demesne, Mullaghcloe, Pottiaghan Commons, Rackavra, Rathskeagh Lower, Rathskeagh Upper, Rowe, Taghnafearagh, Toorcoffey, Toorillon, Tullagh Upper.
Note: An extract from the 1854(?) Griffith’s Valuation for Killare Parish did not show a DAVIS in any townland. However, there was a Matthew CREEVY in the townland Clyglass… a relation of William and Margaret/Elizabeth’s mother Ellen CREEVY?
Description of Ballymore in the Parish of Killare in 1824.
The 1824 Pigot’s Directory describes Ballymore, which is the main town in Killare Parish, and could have been where William and Margaret/Elizabeth’s father John DAVIS worked as a shoe maker:
A Post and market town, 50 miles west of Dublin, 12 north east of Athlone, and 12 south west of Mullingar, is in the barony of Recondra, and county of Westmeath. The town now consists of one long street, of no very elegant appearance, but was formerly a place of considerable note, being one of the oldest post towns in Ireland. At present the only public building is the Catholic chapel. The neighbourhood is extremely pleasant, and the land very fertile. Population about 500.
Source: Pigot and Co.’s city of Dublin and Hibernian provincial directory. London: J Pigot & Co., 1824: 131. Note: There was no DAVIS mentioned as a shoemaker.
Details of Kilmanaghan Parish In 1837
KILMANAGHAN, a parish, partly in the barony of CLONLONAN, couniy of WESTMEATH, but chiefly in that of KILCOURSEY, KING'S county, and province of LEINSTER ; containing, with part of the post-town of Moate, 3414 inhabitants, of which number, 1428 are in the county of Westmeath. This parish, which is also called Kilmonagh, comprises 6626 statute acres, of which a considerable quantity is bog; agriculture is in an improved state. There is a large woollen cloth manufactory in the parish. The principal seats are Kilfylan, the residence of E. W. Birmingham, Esq.; Ballinaminton, of Major G. Marsh ; Telford, of W. Greenville, Esq.; Ballyboilan, of Mrs. Armstrong; Brookville, of D. Byrne, Esq.; Moyally, of M. Fox, Esq. ; and Rockfield, of H. Higgins, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Meath; the rectory is impropriate in the Marquess of Downshire ; the vicarage forms part of the union of Ardnurcher ; and there is also a perpetual cure, forming part of the union of Clara. The tithes amount to £247-13.10 ¼.,of which £147. 13. 10 ¼. is payable to the impropriator,and the remainder to the vicar; the perpetual curate receives a stipend of £80 from the vicar and £20 from Primate Boulter's augmentation fund. The glebe comprises 53 acres, valued at £106 per annum. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also the parish of Kilcumreagh, and called the union of Tubber and Kilmanaghan, in each of which is a chapel. There is a public school, in which about 60 children are educated ; also four private schools, inwhich are 260 children. Part of the old church remains, with a burial-ground attached ; and at Gurteen are the ruins of a castle.
Lewis, S. Topographical dictionary of Ireland. London: S. Lewis, 1837; 2: 174.
Townlands of the Parish of Kilmanaghan.
Ardnaponra, Bawnoges, Cappantack, Cloghbane, Clonlonan, Culleenagower, Killeenboylegan, Kilnahinch, Legan, MOATE Town, Magheramurry, Toorfelim.
Ballinaminton East, Ballinaminton West, Bolart North, Bolart South, Cloghanamina, Cloghatanny Garryduff (Greenville), Gorteen, Kilcurley, Kilfoylan, Kilmanaghan, Kippeenduff, Lurgan, Moyally, Newtown, Shanballynakill, Tinamuck East, Tinamuck South, Tinamuck West, Tober, Tully, Wilton.
Note: An extract from the 1854(?) Griffith’s Valuation for Kilmanaghan Parish showed the following DAVIS records: George DAVIS, Killeenboylegan; George DAVIS, T/moate Clara-Road.
Details of Kilcleagh Parish In 1837.
KILCLEAGH, or MOATE, a parish, in the barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, on the road from Athlone to Dublin; containing, with the post-town of Moate, 6160 inhabitants. It comprises 9231 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is principally grazing land; there is also a considerable quantity of bog, and abundance of lime-stone and gritstone. The principal seats are Ballymabown, the ancient residence of the Malone family; Castle Daly, the seat of J. M. Daly, Esq.; Newbridge, of R. Matthews, Esq.; Moate Castle, of Cuthbert J. Clibborn, Esq.; and Farnagh, of R. Adamson, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Meath, and in the patronage of the Bishop: the tithes amount to £276. 6. 11. The church was built in 1782, enlarged by aid of a gift of £300 and a loan of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits in 1819, and lately repaired by a grant of £288 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was purchased in 1819, by aid of a gift of £300 and a loan of £500 from the same Board : the glebe comprises 86 acres. In the R, C. divisions the parish is in the diocese of Ardagh : part of it forms the district of Moate, in which are two chapels, one there and one at Bogagh ; the other, with the parish of Lemonaghan, constitutes that of Ballymahown, in which also are two chapels, one at Ballymahown, in this parish. There is also a meeting-house for the Society of Friends. About 250 children are educated in four public, and 210 in seven private, schools. Near Farnagh are the ruins of the castle of Clonlonan, which gave name to the barony.—See MOATE.
Lewis, S. Topographical dictionary of Ireland. London: S. Lewis, 1837; 2: 61-62.
Townlands of the Parish of Kilcleagh.
(All in Co. Westmeath)
Aghafin, Aghanargit, Agharanny, Agharevagh East, Agharevagh West, Aghavoneen, Aghnasullivan, Attimurtagh, Ballinlassy, Ballycahillroe, Ballydonagh, Ballynahown, Ballynahownwood, Ballynakill, Ballynamuddagh, Ballyscarvan, Baltrasna, Blackories, Boggagh (Conran), Boggagh (Fury), Boggagh (Malone), Boggagh Eighter, Bolinarra, Bolyconor, Boyanagh (Earl), Boyanagh (Malone), Cartronkeel, Cartrons, Castletown, Clonaltra (King), Clonaltra West, Clonlonan, Clonmore, Clonydonnin, Cregganmacar, Curraghbeg, Curries, Fardrum, Farnagh, Farranmanny North, Farranmanny South, Fearmore, Glebe East, Glebe West, Gorteen, Hall, Kilbillaghan, Kilcleagh, Kilgarvan, Kilgarvan Glebe, Kill, Killogeenaghan, Killomenaghan, Knockanea, Lowerwood, MOATE T., Moategranoge, Moneen, Newcastle, Ories, Scroghil, Seeoge, Sheean, Toorydonnellan, Tubbrit, Tullanageeragh.
Note: An extract from the 1854(?) Griffith’s Valuation for Kilcleagh Parish showed the following DAVIS records: George DAVIS, T/moate, Moat-Lane; John DAVIS, T/moate Athlone-Road.
Moate in the Parishes of Kilmanaghan & Kilcleagh in 1837.
Lewis describes Moate, which is the main town in the Kilmanaghan and Kilcleagh Parishes, and could have been where John DAVIS worked as a shoe maker when his son William was born in 1832:
MOATE, or MOATE-A-GRENOGE, a market and post-town, partly in the parish of KILMANAGHAN, but chiefly in that of KILCLEAGH, barony of CLONLONAN, county of WESTMEATH, and province of LEINSTER, 7 ¾ miles (E. by S.) from Athlone, and 52 (W. by S.) from Dublin, on the mail coach road to Athlone; containing 1785 inhabitants. This place takes its name from a rath or moat at the back of the town, in what was originally the territory of the McLoughlins, and which was called after Grace McLoughlin, Grana-oge, or "Grace's Moat". During the war of the Revolution, a large body of the adherents of Jas. II., which had been pursued from Ballymore by the forces under Gen. de Ginkel, drew up here in order to give battle to their pursuers ; but they were driven into the town, whence, after they had vainly endeavoured to intrench themselves, they fled to Athlone, with the loss of about 300 men, several officers, their baggage, a great quantity of arms, and 500 horses. On their arrival at Athlone their defeat had caused such consternation in the garrison of that place,that the gates were closed against the fugitives from a fear of admitting their pursuers also, and several fled for shelter to the bogs and many perished in the river. The town, which is neatly built and of pleasing appearance, contains 330 houses, of which number, 244 are slated, and the remainder thatched. The manufacture of cottons and linens, formerly carried on here to a very great extent, is now much diminished, affording employment only to about 100 persons; and several large distilleries and breweries have been altogether discontinued. The market is on Thursday, and fairs are held on April 25th, June 22nd, Oct. 2nd, and Dec. 3rd. A chief constabulary police force is stationed here; a manorial court is held on the first Monday in every alternate month ; petty sessions on alternate Thursdays, and the general quarter sessions for the district at the usual times. The court-house is a commodious building; attached to it is a small bridewell. The parish church of Kilcleagh is situated in the town; there are also a R. C. chapel, a small convent to which a chapel is attached, places of worship for the Society of Friends, Baptists, and Wesleyan Methodists, and a dispensary. Moate Castle is the seat of Cuthbert J. Clibborn,Esq.
Lewis, S. Topographical dictionary of Ireland. London: S. Lewis, 1837; 2: 374.