The STRONGs of Ulster, Ireland, Chapter 3
The "STRONG Family" section of this site is divided into 13 chapters and 9 appendices. Please read in sequence by following the links at the bottom of each page or use the "Quick Nav" at top right. If you wish to select individual chapters, please click on the top left link to the "Sitemap" page. Note that the chapters develop the story of our family and the appendices contain supporting data… for example the Descendancy Report in Appendix 1 with BDM records and photos of family members.
Contents of this Website are subject to Copyright © by Philip Strong, & allow fair academic use. See here.
Do you have information, opinion or a question relating to either this site’s contents or its copyright? Please use the e-mail link available at the bottom of each page. I look forward to corresponding with you.
Overview of Robert STRONG (Jnr)’s Children
Each of the following overviews provides a link to full detail which is given in a subsequent chapter. Note also this link to Robert’s family bible, which provides some birth, death information and census information for Robert’s children.
- Agnes STRONG Born on 21 May 1852 in Belfast, County Antrim, Ireland. On 19 May 1874 when Agnes was 21, she married Alexander NEILL. It is felt that Agnes and Alexander arrived in NZ on 2 Sep 1874 at Lyttleton New Zealand, on the ship 'Carrisbrooke Castle'. This was a few months before Agnes' parents emigrated on 14 Dec 1874. They lived most of their lives in NZ at 45 Wood St, Ponsonby, Auckland.
- Jane STRONG Born on 23 Sep 1854. Jane did not emigrate with her family. When Jane was 20, she married Joseph LANE, marine engineer (DOB c1848) on 9th Dec 1874, in the Swinburne East Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, East Jarrow, South Shields, UK. At that time she lived at 22 Sheldon Street, Jarrow, Durham, England. on 9 Dec 1874.
- Robert James STRONG. Born 17 Feb 1863 in Belfast, Ireland, probably at 21 Alexander Street West. He is significant to me, since at the age of 11, in 1874, Robert J.STRONG received a bible for attendance at the Falls Road Wesleyan Sunday School. I found this bible amongst my father's books. RJ left home some time between the ages of 13 and 18.
- Hamilton STRONG. Born on 21 May 1864 in Belfast Ireland, from the entry of his birth in the family bible. Significantly, there is no record of his death in the same bible, where Robert kept methodical detail of vital events. Hamilton was not listed as living in his father's 1910 death certificate. Family tradition poses the question: "Did Hamilton emigrate to the USA?" In reality, he died in Belfast as a 16 month baby!
- Joseph STRONG Born on 21 Jun 1868 in Belfast, Ireland.......left home some time after the age of 18 and then emigrated at some time after the age of 25 to Australia.
- David STRONG born on 4 Aug 1870 in Belfast, Ireland. My grandfather left home in NZ some time after the age of 16. He possibly met his future wife Minnie WEDEMEYER at Bundaberg, Queensland Australia and married in Sydney NSW. For details of the WEDEMEYER family please view my WEDEMEYER pages.
- Mary (Minnie) STRONG Born on 4 Dec 1872 in 108 Dover St, Belfast, Co. Antrim, Ireland. Mary emigrated with her parents in 1874, remained in NZ and married three times.
- William Aberdare STRONG Born on 5 Feb 1875 in the "Baron Aberdare", the ship which brought the family to NZ. William was a saddler at Drury, NZ for most of his life.
- John Taylor STRONG Born on 17 Feb 1881 in Wellington St Auckland NZ. John lived variously at Gisbourne, "Glenalvon" Jermyn St, Auckland East and Christchurch, all NZ.
Note: Robert’s sons… Robert, Joseph and David, immigrated to Auckland with the family, and then left NZ to live in Sydney NSW Australia.
The Story Continues
- Chapter 4 The story of Robert STRONG's child Agnes.