Important Message! This site has resumed normal operations shortly after 9 May 2023 following hacking. My son Andrew (original designer of the site) took extreme measures and a lot of work so that any visitors can enter the site with confidence. Many thanks to Andrew!
The purpose of this site is to promote discussion of the STRONG family from Drumbo, Holywood, Knocknagoney and Belfast… as well as the associated families listed above.
Since I am approaching the end of research into my family, it might be the time for tentative conclusions. I had thought about this idea illustrated on the left:
Then there are more serious thoughts?
The why and how of this rather large site?
Retirement from a lifetime of science teaching left me with a need for continuing intellectual challenge which might prevent Alzheimers! An historiography course (study of the writing of history) gave me the inspiration, showing that the scientific method applied to history research, even though there was the absence of experiments.
Some people dismiss family historians’ work as mere collation of facts like collecting stamps. I have consciously gone beyond mere collation, seeking research perspective, interpretation, contextualisation and truth. Sources have been cited as in any other academic paper, so that others might readily check what is presented.
Contents of this Website are subject to Copyright © by Philip Strong, & allow fair academic use. See here.
Do you have information, opinion or a question relating to either this site’s contents or its copyright? Please use the e-mail link available at the bottom of each page. I look forward to corresponding with you.
To navigate the site please use the navigation panel above or select from the options below.
- The STRONG Family Follow the STRONGs on their journey from Drumbo to Holywood and Knocknagoney in Co. Down, then to Belfast Northern Ireland, then as emigrants to New Zealand and NSW Australia.
- The LANE Family (LANE/ LAIN/ LAINE). The LANEs travel from their stone cottage in the remote and beautiful area of Unagh in the Parish of Lissan, north of Cookstown, Co. Tyrone, to Belfast (Ireland), then to Newcastle (England) and Auckland (New Zealand).
- The WEDEMEYER Family Georg Heinrich Friedrich Louis WEDEMEYER (GHL) emigrates from the historic town of Goslar (Germany), to Australia and Gayndah, Mt Perry, Drummers Creek, Queensland. There are interesting and detailed stories about both GHL and his children: Harry, Louis, Minnie, Elizabeth, John and Maggie.
- The FOSTER Family George FOSTER, b. 1805 Stepney, London, longest serving marine pilot of Low Head, Tamar River and Launceston, Tasmania Australia. George has proved a significant historical figure. Much interesting information of both family and general interest has been gathered about George and his children. Interesting photos are a special feature. We are searching for a story on George’s origins in Bow and Stepney in London, UK, also Southwark of Surrey, UK. Similarly, we hope for a story on the origins of George’s wife Lucy HAMMOND from Farnham, Surrey, UK.
- Grandma's Families Our FOSTERs' Grandma Annie EWART (née COLQUHOUN) and her ancestral families… COLQUHOUN, HUTCHISON and EWART.
- The PATFIELD Family. Alma PATFIELD (b. 1901 Paterson NSW) and her father's & mother's lines. It illustrates Alma's early German heritage, her grandparents, parents & siblings, and her own life.
- The Photo Galleries Fifteen collections of photographs have been put together here that are solidly linked to the stories outlined on these pages. They can also be browsed as a self-contained web site of their own. There are over 300 photographs in a fascinating collection.
Please take some time to browse this site which currently holds 400 separate pages and notably over 300 images in the Photo Galleries.